- Live CDs Analyzed
- Concert Reviews
- Newspaper Reviews
- Songs & Tours Reviewed
- You saw old Concerts?
- You saw new Concerts?
Home > Live CDs Analyzed > Las Vegas Dinner Show vs Faded Love
Las Vegas Dinner Show versus Faded Love
Las Vegas Dinner Show (TCB Records) [February 15, 1973 DS]
- an audience recording;
- good sound quality (mono);
- show just about complete (missing several seconds of final announcements)
- featuring 20 tracks (the entire concert);
- the CD starts with the Also Sprach Zarathustra intro; several seconds of final announcements are missing;
- pretty basic artwork (4 pages, with unrelated pictures and short liner notes).
Running time: 61 min. 53 sec.
Faded Love (Straight Arrow) [February 15, 1973 DS]
- a two-mike ambiance live recording (still an audience recording though);
- very good sound quality (stereo);
- 21 tracks including the after show fan comments (track #21 running for 14 min. 55 sec.);
- the Also Sprach Zarathustra intro is preceded by a 20 second orchestra 'riff';
- the final announcements are more complete than on Las Vegas Dinner Show
- housed in a three panel digipak featuring photographs from the January/February 1973 engagement plus short liner notes;
Running time: 76 min. 22 sec.
- a very unusual show, with Elvis leaving the stage after having performed 7 songs, only to return after twenty minutes to finish the concert (5 more songs are sung);
- after Elvis leaves the stage Charlie Hodge takes over as the MC;
- JD Sumner and The Stamps perform solo for 20 min. 46 sec. (5 gospel songs) while Elvis off stage;
- This show marks the very first time Elvis sang Faded Love live on stage;
- During I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry the sound of a rolling camera is very noticeable;
- I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry features alternate lyrics, which in reality is Elvis mixing up two different verses of the song; also, it is sung at a much slower tempo than the famous Aloha From Hawaii version.
|Original (Aloha) lyrics:||February 15, 1973 lyrics|
|Hear that lonesome whippoorwill||Hear that lonesome whippoorwill|
|He sounds too blue to fly||He sounds too blue to cry|
|The midnight train is whining low||The moon just went behind the clouds|
|I'm so lonesome I could cry||I'm so lonesome I could cry...|
|(verse not sung during the Aloha show)|
|The moon just went behind a cloud|
|To hide its face and cry|
|I've never seen a night so long|
|Where time goes slowly by...|